Voting in the Board of Directors’ elections is the simplest way to effect change in the store that you own. By voting for the candidate(s) that most nearly match your vision for The Food Co-op, you participate in the direction that we take as a community-owned organization. We urge you to participate in the election each year so that your voice may be heard. Annual elections are held in May.
A good way to get even more involved is to run to serve as Board member. The Food Co-op relies on good leadership – people who can work effectively together to help guide the organization toward its full potential. While diverse interests, experiences, and skills are useful in board members, the ability to listen and to work well with others is key.
To qualify as a candidate, our bylaws require you to have been an Active member or a member of the household of an Active Member for at least six months prior to being seated on the Board (that is, by January 1, 2015). You can download the Candidate Packet and Application here or pick up a copy at the Member Services Desk on or after February 24, 2015. Candidates must submit a completed application to the Member Services desk in the store by 9pm March 15, 2015.
In 2015, voting by the members begins May 1 and ends May 14.
New E-VOTING OPTION beginning 2014:
• On May 1, all active members with an email address on file at the Co-op are emailed instructions for how to vote electronically in the Board election.
• If a member doesn’t have an email address on file or didn’t receive an email he/she can visit the in-store computer and click on the e-voting link and confirm his/her identification to vote online.
• Paper ballots/envelopes are available for in-store voting. This requires a member number and signature. Paper ballots will not be sent out in the mail. Active members without an email address on file will be sent a post card announcing the election.
• A downloadable ballot is available. If a member uses this option, he/she needs to use their own envelope which can be either dropped off in the red ballot box or mailed to The Co-op at 414 Kearney St. They MUST print their name, co-op number, and sign the envelope in order for their vote to be valid.
About Voting in the Board Elections
- The designated owner of the membership is the eligible voter in your household. Other household members who have an interest in voting in the Port Townsend Food Co-op’s Board elections will need to join the Port Townsend Food Co-op with their own membership number. If you have questions about who is currently the designated owner on your membership, or to change the designated owner, or to join the Food Co-op, ask at the Member Services Desk in the store.
- Eligibility to vote is determined at close of business on the day prior to the beginning of the Election Period. For your vote to be valid in this year’s board election, your Capital Investment account must be paid and current by April 30th. Any cashier can tell you if your membership is current. To bring your membership current, pay the monthly $2 installment of your capital investment any time in the 30 days prior to April 30th.
- Ballots must be received by 9pm, May 14. Ballots of owners who are “inactive” are not opened nor counted. If you want your vote to count and have any doubt of your membership standing, please see Member Services.