Mission & Values
Mission Statement (2007)
Seeking to uphold the health of our community and world, the Port Townsend Food Co-op, a consumer co-operative, serves our membership by making available reasonably priced whole foods and other basic goods and resources by means of our life-affirming democratic organization.
The Port Townsend Food Co-op, whose owners voluntarily and consciously co-operate for the common good, acts to create social and economic change and improvement within the larger community.
In the spirit of this cooperative endeavor, we affirm and promote our mission by:
- providing healthful, environmentally responsible and socially accountable food, products, packaging, nutritional information, and education.
- functioning as a member-owned cooperative, using a broad-range of opportunities for member volunteerism, participation, and involvement.
- creating a model for economic, social, and environmental justice, sustainability, democracy, and integrity.
- generating an engaging workplace through the cultivation of the principles of trust, fairness, transparency, democracy and cooperation.
- supporting local farmers and the development of regional food production systems and emphasizing seasonal availability of local and regional products.
- operating in a transparent fashion to engender trust in all aspects of cooperative governance and operations so that member votes, opinions, and concerns are heard and weighted fully.
We affirm the necessity of continuous effort and persistent application of these principles, adding to them the Rochdale Principles of 1844, as revised by the International Co-operative Alliance Congress in 1966 and updated in 1995, to sustain a healthy and viable cooperative and to accomplish our mission.