Our Buying Policies
Products We Choose to Carry (revised 2012)
Our product selection guidelines are an extension of our mission and values. These product guidelines are offered to provide a framework in which the Co-op ideals will be translated into the selection of goods for the store. These ideals include: good nutrition, respect for the environment, fostering of local production, socially responsible workplaces, and co-operative member ownership. The Co-op’s purpose of providing a broad range of pure, whole, staple foods and other essential items at a reasonable price is the base upon which these guidelines rest.
We promote the following standards:
- Product Qualities: Favoring whole foods with minimal processing; certified organically grown; verified non-GMO products (refer to our GMO statement); products that do not contain ingredients on our unacceptable ingredients list.
- Commitment to Community: Giving preference to those products grown or produced by small-scale enterprises, and to those grown or produced locally and regionally.
- Environmental Concerns: Minimizing the negative environmental effects pertaining to our choice of products and, where there is a choice, to take the least detrimental option.
- Consumer Education: Accepting the responsibility of providing educational information to our customers as it relates to these concerns and the products we sell, and in certain instances, as it relates to products we choose not to sell.
- Fair treatment of workers: Giving preference to products that are produced by workers who are paid fairly and treated fairly in the workplace.
- Support for the co-op movement: Giving preference to products produced and distributed by co-ops.
- Political Concerns: Recognizing that there may be political implications of its selection of products and suppliers.
- Provide a full-service grocery store: Complementing our array of basic products with items that are not commonly available elsewhere in East Jefferson County.