The Food Co-op is Port Townsend’s only community-owned grocery store. Community ownership means member/owners have a say in how the business is run. Community ownership preserves and celebrates what is unique and local. Community ownership fights corporate hegemony!
A board of elected co-op members represents the Food Co-op’s member/owners. The Board sets policy and supervises the operations of the Co-op. Each member/owner gets one vote in the annual election held each May.
- Buy products at shelf prices; non-owners pay a 10 percent surcharge.
- Ten percent off most products at our twice yearly Member Appreciation Days usually held in April and October.
- Special order through our UNFI Buying Club and direct order from other vendors at a lower cost, sometimes saving as much as 20 percent.
- Connect your business or service to our community by reserving space in the Alcove, available to anyone at no charge for up to two shifts each month, with a possible bonus shift.
- Attend Co-op classes or groups at reduced rates or for free.
- Receive e-mail notices of special events and sales.
- Your Food Co-op member card is honored by many other co-ops around the country.
- Twenty-five percent discount on Better World Club membership, America’s only environmentally friendly auto club, for 24/7 nationwide roadside assistance for cars and bikes. For more information, go to the Better World Club web site.
- Get involved in Co-op governance. Attend a Board meeting and share your voice. You may communicate your values to your elected board members at email@example.com.
- Be a candidate for the Board of Directors. The Board is elected by owners and is legally responsible for running the Food Co-op. The Board hires and evaluates the general manager, sets store policy, and keeps an eye on finances. All owners are encouraged to run for the Board of Directors.
- All member-owners eligible to vote may receive patronage dividends. Starting in 2016, each year we have a profit, the board will decide if it is economically feasible to distribute member patronage dividends. You will be able to choose between cash, a store credit, or a donation to a local nonprofit. The member/owner patronage dividend is based on Cooperative Principal #3: Member Economic Participation, as adopted by The Rochdale Society of Equitable Pioneers in 1844.